LGV Transport Apprentice
The Supply Chain Large Goods Vehicle Level 2 Apprenticeship is an excellent opportunity to begin a career in logistics with a committed employer – A. F. Blakemore & Son Ltd.
A.F Blakemore & Sons
Longacres Industrial Estate
Mr Dave Higgs
Group Compliance Manager
£5.00 per hour, with a pay review at six months and after reaching all key milestones.
Monday – Friday
Average 40+ hours per week
3am and 6am start times
About the role
The apprenticeship programme is there to reward people who see Blakemore Logistics as a career opportunity, not just another job. If you invest in this scheme, the company will in turn invest in you and your future and has the potential to lead into to career paying over £30,000 per year and also the opportunity to progress to Cat C+E Licence.
You will be working for a national company with 8,000 employees that still hasn’t forgotten its family roots. A. F. Blakemore will support you to become the best you can be within the organisation and reward you along the way. You will be able to work towards increasing your skills, increasing your earning potential and working in a varied and expansive company that offers no shortage of opportunities to those who wish to succeed.
During the Blakemore Transport Apprenticeship Programme you will hit set milestones that ensure you are given development points to work towards. These milestones will not only serve to develop your skills and role scope, but they will also serve to enhance your experience of the programme and give you a greater understanding of the varying roles within the overall business.
Your key tasks/responsibilities will include:
- Accurate and safe delivery of customers’ orders in accordance with delivery schedules.
- Obtaining authorisation to return goods and the accurate checking / collecting of goods to be returned.
- Promptly notifying the company of any delays that will affect the completion of the day’s work.
- Establishing a friendly and courteous relationship with customers and dealing effectively with queries.
- Ensuring that all vehicles driven comply with traffic regulations currently in force.
- Adhering to current regulations regarding the number of hours worked and the use of tachographs.
- Prompt reporting of refrigeration engine defects to management.
- Prompt reporting of all accidents to the company and accidents reportable by law to the police.
- A full clean UK driving licence for at least 1 year
- Attention to detail
- Adherence to safe working procedures
- Awareness of ambient, freezer and chilled functions
- Consistent compliance with policy and procedure (in particular reference to Health & Safety).
- Compliance with company values and relevant level of the competency framework.
- Positive approach to covering other roles within the department.
- Flexible approach to working hours.
GCSE English Grade A*- D
GCSE Maths Grade A*- D
Supply Chain Specialist Large Goods Vehicle (LGV) Driver Level 2 Apprenticeship via GTG Training (Duration: 14 months)
Cat C Practical Training
MOD 4 Training
Driver Transport Safety
Safe and Fuel Efficient Driving
First Use Inspection
Driver Legislation (CPC)
Mr Dave Higgs
Group Compliance Manager
About the company
A. F. Blakemore & Son Ltd is one of the largest and most forward-thinking family-owned businesses in the UK. The company began life in 1917 as a counter-service grocery store in Wolverhampton, and has grown from humble beginnings into a company that now employs over 7,800 people with a turnover of £1.35 billion.
Today A. F. Blakemore is the largest member of SPAR UK, owning 300 SPAR stores while servicing more than 1,000 in total across England and Wales through its Blakemore Logistics operation.
A. F. Blakemore is committed to developing a loyal and dedicated workforce that is focused upon excellent customer service and behaving with integrity, with a long-standing commitment to the local communities in which it operates.